Juice cleanse has been a huge health trend and in recent years many juiceries have started popping up all over Singapore and Asia with the idea of a quickie detox. Although I have always wanted to try, one of the reasons that is stopping me is not the starving part - on average the juice cleanse programmes in Singapore are relatively pricey. You can expect to fork up to $500 for a short cleanse.
I experimented with this recipe and managed to get it done under S$50! I even managed to make enough bottles for two people and it took around 1 hour from preparing to bottling.
In a nutshell it's a total of 3 fruit juices and 3 vegetable juices per day for 3 days. That's 18 full bottles in total and you have control of the ingredients and your drinking schedule.
If you shop the ingredients in a local mart, it costs around $50 or less per person, depending on the season. Below is the list of fruits and vegetables to get, I added more because the original recipe only yields a very small amount of juices! I am doing it for two people as I needed motivation and encouragement (yes this helps) to get through the three days.
– 6 oranges – 6 pears – 6 green apples – 6 red apples – 3 lemons – 1 pineapple – 3 cucumbers – 4 bunch of celery – 2 large carton of spinach – 2 anaheim peppers – 12 tomatoes – 3 beetroots – 4 whole carrots – 1 fennel bulb – 1 small ginger
And the juices are…
Fruit juice #1: 2 oranges, 1 pear, 4 carrots, 1/2 beetroots Fruit juice #2: 1/4 pineapple, spinach, 2 green apples Fruit juice #3: 1/8 pineapple, 1 pear, 2 apples, 1/2 lemon, 1/2 ginger
Vegetable juice #1: 3 tomatoes, 8 carrots, 1/4 beetroot Vegetable juice #2: 1 cucumber, 6 stalks of celery, 3 large handfuls of spinach, 1/2 anaheim pepper, 1 tomato Vegetable juice #3: 1/3 fennel stalk and bulb, 1 bunch celery, 3 large handfuls of spinach, 1/4 lemon
A few tips to share...
- Spinach yields very little juices as they are full of fiber. Add more spinach if you feel like it
- If you are really afraid of feeling hungry add more water to the juices so you will feel fuller after each drink
- Juice it fresh the night before the next day, this also means planning your schedule and social life!
- Always store the juices in the fridge, at home or at the office
- Prepare bottles for bottling
Have fun juicing!